Sunday, 24 April 2016

Two big Sponsors supporting Salty Wheels at Bonneville

 . . . I am delighted to announce that I now have two major sponsors supporting logistical costs of taking my 250cc pushrod classic motorbike to Bonneville this August for Speed Week record attempts.

 . . . are a Glasgow based on line spirits auction specialist with a growing reputation internationally as an excellent source for obtaining newer, older and really-older bottles of whisky, other spirits and assorted whisky memorabilia.    With their excellent contacts in the Scotch whisky Industry they are forefront in authenticating rare and obscure bottlings of whisky and also for maintaining a lower commission level than many more traditional auctioneers, both for the buyer and for the seller.
I continue to purchase some interesting old bottles myself on a regular basis.

 . . . the Bon Accord is the U.K.'s 'National Winner Independent Pub Category award 2015'  title holder and enjoys an excellent reputation for the range and quality of the cask ales of which there are over 900 varieties a year.
Also to be found within this alladins' cave of maltiness are hundreds of different single malt whiskies and other quality spirits which are appreciated not just by the regulars but also by the two Whisky Clubs which are based in the Bon Accord and looked after by Proprietor Paul, one of Scotland's foremost publicans with a considerable experience within the licenced trade.    Paul also has a great number of contacts throughout the Scotch whisky industry,    and he's just a great chap to have a drink with whilst talking malt-moment stuff !

Trip Advisor  tends to agree with my opinion of the Bon Accord.

It's wonderful to have this association and I look forward to some blogging and vlogging with my sponsors relating to the Bonneville challenge this year.

Preparing your essentials for Bonneville.

. . . preparing a motorcycle or any other vehicle may be at the core of participation in Bonneville Speed Week but there's more that needs to be done,  even the necessary personal preparation by riders and drivers on the salt through physical exercise, weight loss and improving stamina with connective training (bike trail riding) helps considerably but without logistic and event planning with the practicalities,    your just not going to make it !

Logistics vary depending on location,    if your based in the U.S. it's more direct and is as follows

1 - Ensure vehicle and rider/driver will be ready on time.
2 - Apply for SCTA membership in good time.
3 - Register your competition vehicle and receive a race number and Card.
4 - Book/arrange accommodation either in a mobile home, tent (if your brave) or local hotel/casino.
5 - Ensure your transportation is fit for purpose, particularly over long distances.
6 - Obtain competitive insurance.
7 - Check with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that your vehicle has a consent certificate if required.   

If you based out with the U.S. you will need to organise freighting of your vehicle either by sea or air.
My experience is that it is best to use an experienced shipper who understands all the bureaucracy that needs to be addressed and also if you ship by sea, allow six weeks for the journey.    Shipping by air is much quicker at around nine days from the U.K. and also may be cheaper than sea-freight.

With air freight, cost is calculated on size (dimensions) of transportation crate whilst sea freight is calculated by total weight of the consignment.  

In both instances U.S. Environmental Protection Agency certificates will be needed to take your vehicle into the U.S. for use and should be obtained well in advance of going.   Your official participation card for the event along with three full colour pictures of your machine will be required for these certificates.

All vehicles must travel without fuel and oil in the machines, therefore they must be 'dry' and also any batteries in your container must have both terminals isolated completely and securely.

In the U.K. Carnets (a Formal list of everything being transported) is needed and can be obtained from the London Chamber of Commerce where you can register for a carnet electronically through their website. 

Personal travel visas called an 'ESTA' can be obtained direct from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security ( )